$49,000 awarded to community programs
July 16, 2018
Grand Rapids, MN – Through the assistance of Lake Country Power's participating members, the Operation Round Up® Trust Board recently approved $49,000 in contributions to local community programs during its quarterly meeting.
The cooperative’s Trust Board reviewed and considered 52 grant applications and distributed funds to 50 projects and programs this past quarter. Since the program’s inception in October 2004, more than $2.0 million has been distributed to community-based projects and programs.
“We’re thankful for the support because we’re trying our best to prevent cancer in our volunteer fire fighters,” said Corey Hurst, volunteer with the Barnum Fire Dept. “All those cancer causing agents in our clothing can’t be washed out in a regular washing machine, so this will help a lot.” The Barnum Fire Department received $1,500 from Operation Round Up toward the purchase of a new washer and dryer.
“The support from Operation Round Up is truly heaven sent,” said Ann Heikkla, who coordinates a group of volunteers that makes quilts for the homeless and others in need through the Bethlehem Lutheran Church of Wright.
Most Recent Recipients
- Walker Area Food Shelf
- McGregor Community Education/Big Sandy Water Institution
- Friends of Wirtanen Pioneer Farm
- Happy Days Preschool
- Hibbing Public Library
- Society of St. Vincent DePaul
- Barnum Volunteer Fire Department
- Grand Itasca Foundation
- Itasca County Family YMCA
- Children’s Discovery Museum
- Grace Lutheran Quilters
- Grand Rapids Area Community Foundation cancer aid
- Longville Area Community Choir
- Washington Elementary P.I.E.
- Northern Lights Music Festival, Inc.
- Greenway Volleyball Booster Club for Junior Olympics
- Itasca County Sheriff Dive Team
- Lakes Area Dive Team Inc.
- Special Olympics-MN-Roadrunners
- Pike for Vets
- ANGELS – area neighbors giving elderly live-in services
- Carlton County 4-H program poultry project
- Voyageurs Lutheran Ministry
- North Homes Children and Family Services
- Grand Rapids Band Boosters
- Buck Lake Improvement Club
- Immanuel Lutheran Church Quilters
- Neighbors Helping Neighbors Food Shelf
- Kindred Family Focus
- Story Portage
- Quad City Food Shelf
- Cherry School Speech/drama teams
- Grand Rapids Players, Inc.
- Queen of Peace Quilters
- Free Range Food Co-op
- Itasca Community College Summer Engineering Camp
- Boundary Waters Choral Festival
- Area Clothing Depot – Cromwell-Wright
- Northern Lakes Arts Association
- Ely’s MN Youth Ski League at Hidden Valley
- Barnum Area Community Club
- Northwoods Friends of the Arts
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church of Wright
- Wrong Days in Wright
- United in Christ Lutheran Quilters
- Camp Fire Minnesota – Camp Bluewater
- Floodwood Services & Training, Inc.
- Mesabi Family YMCA
- Well Being Development/Northern Lights Clubhouse
Operation Round Up® is a charitable program unique to electric co-ops, which is designed to provide financial assistance to worthwhile activities and community projects by “rounding up” member’s electric bills to the nearest dollar. The average donation of each participating Lake Country Power member is less than $6 annually.
More than 71 percent of Lake Country Power members participate in the program through voluntary contributions. Interested members can opt into the Operation Round Up program by calling Lake Country Power at 800-421-9959 or using an online form at lakecountrypower.coop.
Applications are available online at www.lakecountrypower.coop. The next application deadline is August 15.
Lake Country Power, www.lakecountrypower.coop, is a Touchstone Energy® cooperative serving parts of eight counties in northeastern Minnesota. The rural electric cooperative provides services to nearly 43,000 members and has offices located in Grand Rapids, Kettle River and Mountain Iron.