Les Beach scholarships awarded
May 14, 2019
Grand Rapids, MN – Lake Country Power is pleased to announce 30 local high school seniors from 30 different schools have been awarded the Lake Country Power 2019 Les Beach Memorial Scholarship. The Les Beach Memorial Scholarship honors a former co-op employee and recognizes student commitment and contribution to local communities.
The $4,000 scholarships, issued at $500 per semester for four years, will help the following graduating seniors pursue their college plans and career dreams:
- Jessica Schatz: Barnum School
- Alena Wallin: Carlton School
- Mariah Ortiz: Cass-Lake-Bena School
- Paige Chadwick: Cherry School
- Lucy Lindstrom: Chisholm School
- Kaylee Anderson: Cloquet School
- Madisyn Anderson: Cromwell-Wright School
- Frank Villeneuve: Deer River School
- Shane Spangler: Ely-Memorial Secondary School
- Samantha Stueber: Esko School
- Jacee Zasadni: Eveleth-Gilbert School
- Wyatt Rauvola: Floodwood School
- Makenzie Birkey: Grand Rapids School
- Rose Carpenter: Greenway-Coleraine School
- Sara Furlong: Hibbing School
- Taya Gilmer: Hill City School
- Grace Anderson: McGregor Secondary School
- Carson Becicka: Mesabi East School
- Charis Blacklock: Moose Lake School
- Macy Savela: Mountain Iron-Buhl School
- Anna Trip: North Woods School
- Sophie Lenz: Northeast Range High School
- Beau Anwiler: Northern Lights Community School
- Taylor Tschida: Northland-Remer School
- Samantha Mullvain: Proctor School
- Elias Tuominen: South Ridge School
- Dawson Flatley: Virginia School
- Amelia Emery: Walker-Hackensack-Akeley School
- Taylor Peck: At Large category
- Kaitlyn Graf: Home school
The Les Beach Memorial Scholarship is available to local students from more than 30 area high schools. Qualified students must be co-op members through their parents or legal guardians who receive electricity services from Lake Country Power.
The electronic application process for high school seniors will open again, January 1, 2020, when qualifying high school seniors may apply for the next round. The online application is available from the cooperative’s website.
The Les Beach Memorial Scholarship is made possible through unclaimed capital credits. The State of Minnesota permits electric cooperatives like Lake Country Power to use unclaimed funds for charitable purposes, such as scholarships.
Lake Country Power also offers $1,000 scholarships to five area community college foundations and three Minnesota lineworker schools to support students in trade schools and community/technical college programs. Applications for these scholarships are available directly through the colleges.