Electrical Fire

What to do in an Electrical Emergency

Electrical fire

  • Never throw water on an electrical fire.  If possible, disconnect the faulty appliance or turn off the power.  Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher handy at all times.

  • If necessary, phone the Fire Service – dial 111.

  • Report electrically caused fires to the Energy Safety.

  • Dispose of faulty appliances or get electrical installations checked by a licensed electrical worker.

To be prepared, install smoke detectors in your home and have an evacuation plan that all members of the family know and have practiced. Your local fire station can advise on the best routes out of your house in the event of a fire.

Learn first aid – It may save a life!